Contact us

Normal services

During this difficult period, we’re continuing to prioritise services that support those who need it most.

Customer contact centre

Please make use of our online services wherever possible

If you’re experiencing an emergency or critical situation please phone

0131 200 2000.

Please only phone if the issue is urgent. Otherwise, if the service you wish to access isn’t available on our website, please email us and we’ll deal with your enquiry as soon as possible. If you don't have access to email, you can also phone us. You’ll find email addresses and phone numbers for our services below.

If you have a general enquiry relating to COVID-19 support, please contact us on

0131 200 2306.

Council house repairs

Find out more about reporting or requesting repairs to your council home or if you need to speak to someone phone

0131 200 2345.

Waste and environmental services 

Find out more about our waste and recycling service.

Please use our waste online services where possible. If the service you require isn’t available on our website you can contact waste or alternatively, if you need to speak to someone, please phone

0131 608 1100

Council Tax, benefits and welfare

The Scottish Government recently announced a £150 cost of living payment. We are not able to provide any information about how this payment will be made at the moment, but we will update our website as soon as Scottish Government guidance is available.

The simplest and quickest way to view information about your Council Tax account is by registering for Council Tax online. You can

  • view an account summary
  • check your balance, instalments and payments
  • switch to paperless billing. 

Visit our main Council Tax page to access our online services and tell us about a change in your circumstances. Alternatively, you can complete a general Council Tax and benefits enquiry form

If you need any other services, you can send us an email and we will get back to you promptly.

Our Council Tax and benefits phone line is open

  • Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm
  • Friday 10am to 3pm.

0131 608 1111

If you are having difficulty making payment, please contact us as early as possible to discuss this and the choices which may be available to you. Early contact allows us to consider more ways to help you pay.  

If you need debt or welfare advice, you can contact our The Advice Shop.


Day and night, you can call us on

0131 200 2000

for support if you become homeless or need urgent help to find a safe place to stay.

We’re here to help you with our street-based outreach partners Streetwork, who are working across the city to speak to you and support you if you are rough sleeping.

If you are facing a homelessness emergency, we will do everything we can to help you, including the option of meeting you face to face at one of our critical resilience centres above.

If your concern is not an emergency, email us for support and advice:

Support for residents affected by coronavirus

If you need help or support due to the impact of Coronavirus, please contact

[email protected] 

0131 200 2388

and we’ll be able to answer your query or get one of our teams to assist you.

Requests and enquiries

Many of our services have online forms which allow you to access services at a time that is convenient to you.

twitterWe have twitter support available.

If you require to contact us outside our standard office hours please use the numbers below.

Social Care Direct - adults and children

0131 200 2324
[email protected]

Locality offices

Find contact details for your local office

Administrative headquarters

4 East Market Street

Council headquarters

City Chambers
High Street

If you need to contact us please check the phone number for the service you require.

Website enquiries

If you have questions or issues with our new registration and sign in process, or any of our online services, please email [email protected] 

For technical issues with the website please contact [email protected]

Comments and complaints

Find out how to give feedback on our services

Service for hard of hearing and deafened people

You can contact us via Relay UK by dialing 18001 + the required telephone number free of charge but standard network rates for your phone provider may apply. Please check with your provider. More information about Relay UK.

Service for Deaf people

To use British Sign Language interpreting service free of charge to contact us, log on via ContactSCOTLAND-BSL or use their app

Or you can use the British Deaf Association helpline for information about Council and NHS services. 

Interpretation and translation

If you need information in another language please contact our Interpretation and Translation Service.