Help if you're worried about money

If you have a sudden loss of money

Senior woman with coins in her hands

A sudden loss of income can include

  • lost job or reduced hours
  • lost money or unexpected expense
  • disaster for example flood or fire
  • relationship breakdown
  • money stopped for example failed a medical
  • sanctioned.

These difficult situations can leave you struggling to pay your bills or rent each month.

Options available to you

Here are some options that are available to you in your financial situation

Scottish Welfare Fund

People on low incomes may be able to get a crisis grant from the Council. This is a payment to help you cope during an emergency or disaster, or due to unexpected expenses. Crisis grants do not have to be paid back. They're not a loan.

More information on the Scottish Welfare Fund.

Maximise your income

Many people are not claiming all the benefits they are entitled to. You can complete a benefit check to make sure that you are receiving all the money you’re entitled to, especially if your circumstances have changed recently. Benefits checks can also highlight grants you might be able to receive in certain circumstances.

Check your entitlements to benefits.

Hardship payment

If you have been sanctioned, you may be able to request a hardship payment from the Jobcentre. Hardship payments are not always paid immediately, and they’re not available to everyone. Hardship payments of Universal Credit need to be paid back, but hardship payments of Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance do not.

Get a hardship payment

Challenge a decision

You can challenge a benefit decision if your benefit has been stopped/ sanctioned/ reduced/ refused or you have been overpaid. Most benefit decisions need to be challenged within one month.

How to challenge a benefit decision.

Getting help with these options

Get help and benefits advice

Our help page gives essential contact information.