Making repayments

If you get Housing Benefit, make sure you tell us about any change in your circumstances as soon as you can. If you can't do so online, see other ways to contact us. This should prevent you being paid too much.

In almost all cases, we will ask you to repay any overpaid amount. You may not have to repay if

  • the overpayment was our error
  • we could not expect you to have known you were being paid too much.

If you no longer get Housing Benefit

We will send you a bill for the full amount of the overpayment.

Find ways to pay back your overpayment

If you still get Housing Benefit

We will reduce your Housing Benefit payments until the overpaid amount is repaid.

This will happen automatically, at the standard rate set by the government each financial year. If the overpayment is due to fraudulent activity, this rate will be higher than the standard rate. We may increase the recovery rate further depending on your circumstances.

You can write to us if you suffer financial hardship as a result of the repayment. You can ask us to reduce the recovery rate. You should include a completed Income and Expenditure Sheet

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve edinburgh.gov.uk

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.