Supporting Ukraine and its people

Support for people from Ukraine

Ukraine flag painted on child's hands

Last updated: 2 May 2022 

Будь ласка натисніть прочитати українською

Scotland welcomes Ukrainian nationals and their family members

The 'super-sponsor scheme' is now open. You can now apply for a visa under the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine) to come to Scotland. Select "Scottish Government" on the UK visa application on the UK visa application website. Choosing this option means that you do not have to arrange an individual sponsor before coming to Scotland. The Scottish Government will help you do that when you get to Scotland.

The Scottish Government has information about how to get to Scotland on their website. If you arrive in Edinburgh Airpoirt or Edinburgh Waverley train station, the help desk team will help with temporary accommodation and other support.

Information from UK Government

If you or your friends and family have been affected and need support, you can get information on the UK Government's website:

How to apply to submit biometric information

If you have been granted six months' leave to remain in the UK, you can apply to submit your biometric information on the UK Government website.

High commissions, embassies and consulates in the UK

Ukrainian Consulate in Edinburgh

The consulate's normal opening hours are

  • Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 9am to 1pm
  • Tuesday between 2pm to 6pm
  • Thursday: only for people who are disabled, pregnant or seriously ill between 9am to 1pm


0131 556 0023

Email [email protected]

In cases of emergency life-threatening situations telephone 07909 056906

Other embassies

You can get details of all embassies, consulates and high commissions in the UK on the UK Government website.

Immediate/emergency support from the Council

If you are calling from the airport, rail station or bus station for advice on accommodation and other support, or need to contact the council in an emergency, telephone

0131 200 2306

Scottish Refugee Council

Free helpline. Telephone

0808 196 7274

Legal advice

Citizens Advice Bureau

If you need advice on issues including  employment, immigration or legal advice, you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.


Read a guide to NHS Scotland Services for displaced persons from Ukraine (in English and Ukrainian).

NHS 111: 24-hour advice helpline for physical or mental health. Read more about calling 111 for health advice (in English and Ukrainian). Telephone


Other council services

Applying for places in schools

Children from Ukraine have the same right to schooling as all other children in the UK (until the age of 18). We will offer a place in one of our schools for your child or children at no cost.

We can only enrol children in a school when they have arrived in Edinburgh. When you arrive and you have a home address, contact the local school in the area where you are living. This is known as the catchment school. Find your local school using our interactive map.

The school will ask to see:

  • your passport
  • your child’s passport
  • your child’s birth certificate
  • your visa document
  • proof of home address such as a bill or Universal Credit (DWP) letter.

Talk to the school if you do not have all these documents.

Please be aware that some of our schools are full. We may have to place your child in school in another catchment area. We will help with transport to the school and back home can be given where this happens. 

If your catchment school is full, please

Email e[email protected]

One of our senior education officers will contact you with a list of schools that do have spaces. 

More information about applying for a place in a school (in English).

Council tax support

Council Tax is an annual fee the council charges people who live in the council area. It goes towards services like rubbish collection and libraries. The rules have been changed for people from Ukraine who are seeking refuge in Edinburgh. If you lived in the Ukraine on 31 December 2021 and left after 24 February, you will not have to pay council tax. 

Council's Advice Shop

Our team can give advice on benefits, welfare rights, debt, tax credits and grants. Telephone

0131 200 2360

email [email protected]

Social Care Direct - adults and children

If you need support telephone

0131 200 2324

Email [email protected]

English for speakers of other languages

Edinburgh has a developed network of providers offering English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) courses. These courses can help people with limited or no English language to improve their skills and those keen to gain academic qualifications. People coming to Edinburgh from Ukraine, hosts and other people looking after these visitors may find this Connect Here guide helpful.