School placing requests

Apply for a place outside of your catchment area

You can ask us for a place in a school outside of your catchment area. This is called a placing request.

A placing request for a mainstream school will only be granted after places have been given to children living in the catchment area.

Read about our specialist schools to find out how to apply for specialist dance, music and football education.

You have the right to make a placing request for special schools and classes. Please read In on the Act for details. Chapter four covers placing requests.

Download In on The Act - PDF

Download the school placements privacy notice - PDF

Make a placing request

If you want to make a placing request, the application process depends on the year group you are applying for.

Generally, you apply directly to the school for a place unless your child will be starting P1 or S1 before the new school year starts.

If you want to make a placing request you apply direct to the school. Find out how to apply.

Placing requests for children starting P1 or S1 in August 2024

Admissions for children starting P1 or S1 for the first time are managed by the Schools Transactions team.

Find out how to apply for Primary 1 places.

If your child is in Primary 7, find out how to apply for Secondary 1 places.

Further reading

Read Choosing a School: A Guide for Parents from the Scottish Government.

Download our admissions policy - PDF

Download our admissions procedure - PDF

Exclusions - Frequently Asked Questions

Information Sheet Other Stage Appeals 2021

Information Sheet - P1 & S1 Appeals 2021