Start primary school

Apply for P1

Read about support available to key workers over the summer holiday.

If your child's date of birth is between 1 March 2015 and 29 February 2016 they are due to start primary school in August 2020.

If you are in the City of Edinburgh Council area you must register your child for P1 at one of your catchment schools.

If you missed registration week (4 - 8 November 2019) please contact your catchment school directly to make an appointment.

Parents in the new Broomhills Primary catchment area will register instead at Gracemount Primary. Find out more about Broomhills Primary School.

We aim to place all children in one of their catchment primary schools if they are registered before the end of February 2020. If you live outside the catchment area you need to make a placing request and will only receive a place if one is available.

Section two of the Placing in Schools guide outlines how to apply for P1.

Download the Placing in Schools guide - PDF

Download the school placements privacy notice - PDF

Apply for your place

You have a choice of two catchment schools

  • non-denominational
  • Roman Catholic (RC).

If too many children register for the RC school, we give priority to children who are baptised in the Roman Catholic faith.

Children who are turned down at their RC school are given a place in their non-denominational school.

Apply for your Roman Catholic catchment school

Decisions on school places

Decisions on non-catchment placing requests and requests for Roman Catholic schools were made on 6 March 2020.

Read about the decisions.

Primary schools open day

We held an open day at our primary schools on 30 October 2019.

Please contact your catchment school if you would like to visit and missed the open day.

Moving to the catchment area

If you are moving into a different school catchment area before your child starts primary school, you should not register at the school in advance. Instead, you should complete a change of address form.

Tell us you are changing address

Further reading

Read Choosing a School: A Guide for Parents on the Scottish Government website.

Download the School places FAQ for parents - PDF

Download our admissions policy - PDF

Download our admissions procedure - PDF