Licences and permits applications

Short-term lets licensing

Operating a short-term let business

You must submit a licence application before 1 October 2023 to continue operating while your application is considered.  

You are an existing host or operator if you have already been using your property to provide short-term lets before to 1 October 2022. You will need to prove that you used the property for short term lets during this time.

New hosts and operators

If you were not using your premises to provide short-term lets before 1 October 2022, you cannot take bookings or receive guests until you have a licence. 

All hosts and operators must have a licence by 1 January 2025.

Planning permission for short-term lets

If the property you are using for short-term lets is a whole dwelling that is not your main home, you may need to apply for planning permission in addition to a short-term let licence. Find out more about planning permission for short-term lets.

Types of licences

There are four types of licences for short-term let accommodation:

  • Secondary letting - the letting of property where you do not normally live. For example, a second home that is let to guests.
  • Home letting - using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, while you are absent. For example, while you are on holiday.
  • Home sharing - using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, whilst you are there.
  • Home letting and home sharing - operating short-term lets from your own home while you are living there and for periods when you are absent.

Apply for a short-term lets licence

Please make sure you read the guidance notes before completing an application form.

Apply for a short-term lets licence

Once you have completed the application form, you must upload your completed application form, together with all required supporting documentation and make a payment using our civic and miscellaneous licensing submission form.


As a licensing authority, we are required to charge fees to process applications. Fees vary depending on the category and type of licence you apply for. Check the application fees

Application fees are non-refundable. Find out more in our refunds policy. You should make requests for a refund due to exceptional circumstances in writing by contacting

Licensing Manager
The City of Edinburgh Council
253 High Street

Short-term lets policy

Download our current short-term lets policy 

Short-term lets public register

The register of applications shows a summary of current licences and applications.

Scottish Government information on short-term lets

Read the Scottish Government's latest information about the regulation of short-term lets and their current guidance for hosts and operators.

Short term lets judicial review information

Short term let problems