20-minute neighbourhoods in Edinburgh
The 20-minute neighbourhood concept is about making inclusive places where everyone can have better access to essential local services, facilities and open spaces, while enjoying excellent transport and active travel links to the rest of the city.
There is no fixed template for an ideal 20-minute neighbourhood in Edinburgh. The services and facilities will depend on the unique features and local communities of each area. For most people these types of services and facilities would likely include
- schools and lifelong learning opportunities
- local centres, shops and employment opportunities
- advice and support services, health and social care facilities
- community and cultural spaces, public toilets
- greenspaces and playgrounds, opportunities for food growth, sport and recreation facilities
- safe, high-quality walking, wheeling and cycling network
- access to public transport.