Benefits and debt advice

Redundancy and loss of wages

Loss of work or reduced hours

If you have lost your job or had your hours reduced then you can get advice on your benefit entitlements by calling the Advice Shop on 0131 200 2360

If you wish to clarify your employment rights then seek advice from Citizens Advice on 0131 510 5510 / or ACAS via

Redundancy information

For those people who are facing redundancy, firms are still obliged to provide statutory and contractual payment to employees ‘let go’ through businesses cutting back on staff levels.

This information available on your redundancy rights explains the basics. The Citizens Advice Scotland website has detailed information on your rights when faced with redundancy.

If you require further information or advice, Citizens Advice Edinburgh can be contacted on 0131 510 5510.

There is now a comprehensive service called Partnership Action for Continuing Employment (PACE) that provides online support and assistance for people facing the loss of their job. PACE also has a helpline – 0800 917 8000

Alternatively, the dispute resolution service ACAS helpline is 0808 100 1855.

If you have lost your job and not been given any compensation by your employer then you could pursue a claim for loss of notice through the Redundancy Payments Service     The phone number is 0330 331 0020.

Self-employed and not earning enough

Support for the self-employed has been updated. See details at

Universal Credit may be an option if your self-employed income has dropped. More information can be found at Universal Credit webpage

Normally, if you’re self-employed and have low income levels, your Universal Credit payment may be calculated using an assumed level of earnings - a Minimum Income Floor. It’s based on what an employed person on minimum wage would expect to earn in similar circumstances. If you earn more than this, then your Universal Credit amount is based on your actual earnings.