What we offer as an employer
We provide a wide and far reaching variety of services to the citizens of Edinburgh, making us unique as an employer, and our varied rewards cater to the needs and wants of all our employees.
At our core are our values which describe the behaviours that all Council employees are expected to demonstrate in the workplace:
- honest and transparent
- forward thinking
- work together
- put customers first.
If you're the kind of person who enjoys making a difference to people's lives, then look at our vacancies and see if there's an opportunity that suits you and your skills.
Set up for success
Our performance management framework is built around our values and designed to help our employees and their managers have great conversations. It allows all of us to bring our best in everything we do for the people of Edinburgh.
Recruitment information for candidates
We're committed to attracting the best candidates, recruiting the highest calibre of employees, and safeguarding and promoting the safety and welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
As an equal opportunity employer, we recognise the benefits of having a diverse workforce with different values, beliefs, experience, and backgrounds. Our aim is to build an inclusive recruitment culture where all people feel valued and able to be at their best.
For information of applying for a job with us, read the recruitment information for candidates document.
Pay and benefits
Our City Vision for 2050 is to make Edinburgh 'welcoming, thriving, fair, and pioneering' and this may mean working in different ways. We need to make sure that our pay and conditions framework supports this, and we'll do this by making our pay and benefits ‘simpler, fairer, and sustainable’.
Changes to pay and grading structure at 1 April 2021
We built the Scottish Local Government Living Wage top-up into our pay and grading structure on a permanent basis from 1 April 2021. These changes mean that
- all colleagues now have the living wage paid in their basic salary, with no need for a top-up
- nearly 4,500 colleagues have received a pay increase
- pay differentials have been restored for the lowest-graded roles
- we’ve improved our gender pay gap.
There are two Council pension schemes
- Local government employees' scheme provided by Lothian Pension Fund
- Scottish Teachers' Superannuation Scheme provided by Scottish Public Pensions Agency
Holidays and leave
To start with, you get 26 days' annual leave plus six public holidays. Your annual leave entitlement increases dependent on length of service (pro-rated for part-time employees).
To help you live a fuller life outside of work we also have special leave, unpaid leave, enhanced statutory entitlement such as maternity and adoption, and employment breaks after two years' service.
Teachers and those in educational establishments have different entitlements.
Work life balance
We support you if you want to work flexibly by offering
- part-time working
- compressed hours
- home working
- flexible retirement.
Certain options are role dependent but we'll work through these with you.
All employees have access to the Employee Assistance Programme which is a free, confidential service offering counselling, Citizens' Advice, legal information and more.
Take care of your body as well as your mind
- We have an on-site gym at our Waverley Court building that you can join, offering 16 fitness classes a week for a great price with no joining fee or contract.
- Working for us also gets you 10% off Edinburgh Leisure memberships to a citywide network of gyms, pools, and fitness classes.
Savings on the high street and at home
The City of Edinburgh Council have partnered with Vivup to provide our employees with a wide range of employee benefits on a single platform. myBenefits is designed to improve your physical, financial and mental wellbeing.
Over the coming year, we’ll provide at least six new schemes to add to what's already on offer. The exciting range of employee benefits available now includes:
- Cycle to work: Save up to 37% on the latest bikes and accessories.
- Car scheme: Drive away with a brand-new car that’s fully maintained and insured, with no deposit.
- Lifestyle savings: Access a huge range of discounts across the UK’s major retailers including technology, fashion, supermarkets, travel and much more.
Ready to make a difference?
We'll make sure you're trained and ready to do your job but also that you have learning opportunities to help you develop your career.
Zero harm - promoting a safe working environment
Our Corporate Health and Safety Strategy commits the Council to a culture of 'zero harm' where health and safety is everyone's responsibility.
Go to the register of privacy notices page to review the Recruitment - privacy notice (PDF).