General English courses: Centre for Open Learning, University of Edinburgh
General English courses (ESOL) delivered face to face on Holyrood Campus of the University of Edinburgh. Please, note, we do not offer literacy courses.
Academic year is divided into three terms of ten weeks each starting on:
- term 1 starts 2 October 2023
- term 2 starts 22 January 2023
- term 3 starts 15 April 2023
Course programme for term 1 of 2023-24:
- Beginners Step 1 (CEFR level A1) – for absolute beginners. Note: requires skills in reading and writing in a Latin script.
- Elementary Step 1 (CEFR A2.1)
- Elementary Step 4 (CEFR A2.2)
- Intermediate Step 1 (CEFR B1)
- Upper Intermediate Step 1 (CEFR B2)
Each class runs for 90 minutes.
Beginners Step 1, Elementary Step 1 and Elementary Step 4
These are daytime classes which run from 11.10am to 12.40pm. They are reserved for displaced people and are free of charge. The first meeting will be in the week of 25 September
Intermediate Step 1 and Upper Intermediate Step 1
The classes are in the evening from 5.30pm to 7.00pm. They are open to the general public and for a fee. There are places reserved for displaced people on both courses.
Registration for all our General English courses is now open. Before you register, please, check which level of General English is right for you, by using the centre's General English self-assessment tool on the university's website. Registration is open until 18 September 2023.
If you are
- a displaced person, you can register for a free course.
- a member of the general public, you can register for the Intermediate Step 1 course or the Upper Intermediate Step 1 course before 25 September 2023 in person at our reception in the Centre for Open Leaning, University of Edinburgh, Paterson’s Land, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AQ.
If you have any questions, please contact Laura Nicolo Duenas, Course Organiser for General English, and Jeannette Rissmann, Head of Languages for All