Educational Psychologist Support

Psychological Services

What we do

All council schools have an educational psychologist who works alongside the support staff at the school. Over 30% of children in Edinburgh and across Scotland have additional support needs. Most supports are agreed and put in place between families and schools without involving educational psychology. In Edinburgh we refer to school based supports as

  • pathway one (classroom supports)
  • pathway two (school supports for example small groups).

Working Together

When schools feel they need advice beyond pathways one and two, they may ask your permission to speak to their psychologist. This is sometimes referred to as pathway three. Sometimes this advice does not require a referral to the psychologist but if it does the psychologist will ask your permission to open a case for you or your child.

How we can help

Educational psychologists work alongside families, teachers and others to improve the learning and health and wellbeing of children and young people. This is normally because the child or young person has complex support needs.

We may do this in a variety of different ways including

  • working with others to assess a child’s additional support needs
  • individual work with a child and their family
  • training for parents, school staff and other professionals
  • helping education in Edinburgh to develop policy and practice
  • helping to improve services for children and families through research

As part of our work with your child we may

  • meet with you and others who know your child to hear about their strengths and concerns
  • work with you and others to agree a Getting it Right for Every Child plan to support your child
  • talk to and offer advice to teachers or others working with your child
  • observe your child in class or in the playground
  • look at your child’s work
  • meet your child to hear what they think or do some work with them
  • offer parents and carers support and advice
  • help to write a report about your child’s needs called an Assessment of Needs

Families know their child best and the information you can give us is extremely important. You will be involved in any plans to help your child.

Concerns and feedback

We welcome feedback from children, young people and their families and we use this to help us improve the service we offer. You can complete a short questionnaire about how useful you have found our service.

If you have a concern about the service you receive, please tell the psychologist who is working with you. If this does not help, you can contact the Psychological Services at

Contact us

If you are concerned about your child you can contact us by telephone or email. It is usually better to discuss the situation first with the staff at your child’s nursery or school, or with someone who is already working with you. Often they may be able to help you or they may contact us on your behalf.

Whoever contacts us, we will always ask your permission before we work with your child. We want you to know about and agree to anything we are doing.


0131 469 2800

Leave a message including your name, phone number and child’s school. One of our educational psychologists will call you back as soon as they can.