Apply for a Building Warrant
Before you apply for a building warrant
- please note from Wednesday 3 January 2018, we will no longer accept cheques for planning applications or building warrants. Payment can be made online when applying through www.edevelopment.scot or telephone payments can be made by phoning 0131 529 3550.
- read the technical guidance
- for larger and more complex projects, request preliminary building warrant advice
You may also need planning permission.
Methodology for submitting a Building Warrant
Download the two part methodology document. It provides guidance for agents about how to prepare drawings and supporting information prior to presenting them as part of an application for Building Warrant.
Submitting information in this way will help to
- speed up the process
- get your application granted
- reduce the assessment time for your application.
Use the examples in the methodology to guide you as you create your drawings and specifications.
There are two areas of the guidance which are proving to be significant. Please ensure
- your application plans are correctly orientated prior to uploading these to the portal
- when submitting revised plans or further information to address issues raised in the technical assessment of your application, you use the correct form in the Which Forms? Wizard, submit documentation / information that supports a previously submitted form and quote the correct Building Warrant reference number.
Failure to adhere to all the published guidance will result in a delay to your application.
If you are already registered with ePlanning, use the same log in details.
Download the guidance on naming and numbering documents on eBuilding Standards. Paper versions of the forms are available on eBuilding Standards.
Alternative method of compliance
The request for alternative method of compliance form should be used when your proposed design does not follow the guidance within the Technical Handbooks. You should explain clearly and concisely why your proposal should be accepted as an alternative to the guidance given in the Technical Handbooks.
Validity period and extension
A building warrant remains valid for 3 years from the date it was granted.
Apply to extend this period on eBuilding standards. Please register and login using the appropriate link in the Which Forms Wizard.