Tenancy information

Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange is often a useful way for Council or Housing Association tenants to move by ‘swapping’ with each other.

You may want to consider this if you

  • want to live in a different area of Edinburgh, Scotland or the United Kingdom
  • are worried about living in a home that is now larger than you need
  • are concerned about affording your rent and other costs such as heating your home
  • now need a bigger home

House Exchange is a website for Council or Housing Association tenants who want to swap homes.

It's free to sign up with House Exchange. You will need to give details about

  • yourself
  • your home
  • the type of home you're looking for

Once you have your login details, you can search the website to find someone to swap homes with.

You can also advertise your home yourself, by displaying an advert in local shops for example.

Please be aware that you need permission from the Council as your landlord before you swap your home.