Religious or belief system ceremony (includes humanists)
If your ceremony is being carried out by a celebrant from a religious or other belief system (including humanists), please see the information below.
- It must be held in a place of worship or venue (indoors or outdoors) within the City of Edinburgh Local Authority boundary.
- Your notices and documents should be submitted to the registrar at the City Chambers six to eight weeks (12 weeks if subject to immigration) before the date of the ceremony. We recommend making an appointment to lodge notice.
- You will need to make yourself aware of the legal requirements to being married / civil partnership in Scotland.
- Religious / belief system form must be submitted with your M10 / CP10 forms.
- Your notice forms will not be submitted unless these fees have been paid.
- Once your notices have been lodged, a date will be issued to you by the registrar at the City Chambers informing you when your schedule will be ready for collection from that office.
- Your marriage or civil partnership will not legally be able to go ahead if the celebrant does not have a schedule in their possession at the time of the ceremony.
- When you pick up the schedule you will be informed of the requirement to have the schedule returned to the City Chambers office no more than three days after the ceremony.