Legal requirements for marriage and civil partnership


Complete a M10 form and submit within the legal timescale as detailed below.

You can download the M10 form and guidance notes on the National Records of Scotland website.

Civil partnership

Complete a CP10 form and submit within the legal timescale as detailed below.

You can download the CP10 form and guidance notes on the National Records of Scotland website.

Documents you must submit

Along with the completed form you are required to submit your

  • birth certificate
  • passport if born after 1983 - we do not require to see your passport if you were born in the UK before 1983.
  • proof of address dated within the last 3 months.

If you have been married before you are required to submit your

  • divorce or annulment document
  • death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.

All documents must be originals. Photocopy passports will be accepted but the original has to be seen at a later date. 

If you are not British

A Declaration of Status by Non-UK Nationals form should be completed by all parties to a marriage or civil partnership whose nationality on their notice form is not shown as British.

As you will be aware, EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) Certificate of Application (CoA) holders are exempt from referral if the CoA is dated before 1 July 2021. A CoA dated on or after 1 July 2021 requires a referral to the Home Office.

It has come to our attention that when checking the EUSS status for those who hold a CoA, that the date of application does not appear on the EUSS status checker. This means that is not always possible to determine the date of the CoA.

Should you be submitting a CoA please ensure that the date of issue is recorded somewhere within your paperwork. To obtain the date you log into your online account in order to show the date that the CoA was awarded. This will determine whether or not the party should be referred.

You may need to provide a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI). This is a document from your home country stating you are free to get married. If you have been a resident in the UK for more than two years, evidence of this will be accepted in place of a CONI.

Contact the UK Border Agency for advice on entry requirements to the UK under immigration rules for marriage and civil partnerships.

Any documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.

When and how to submit your forms and documentation

  • Submit a M10 or CP10 each with all the relevant documentation six to eight weeks prior to your intended ceremony. The minimum notice period is 29 days. Should you be subject to immigration control we recommend giving three months’ notice. We advise that you make an appointment with the City Chambers Office to lodge notice. 
  • All correct fees must be paid at the time of lodging. If you have booked a civil ceremony with the registration offices or for a registrar to attend at an agreed venue, then you will have already paid the fees for lodging notice.
  • Do not submit any more than three months before your marriage or civil partnership.

Where to submit your forms and documentation

M10s and CP10s for

  • civil ceremonies in the City Chambers
  • civil ceremonies in South Queensferry Forth View or Dalmeny Room
  • all agreed venues
  • all religious and belief system ceremonies

In person by making an appointment below.

Make an appointment to lodge your notice forms in person 

Can also be delivered via our drop-in box between 9am to 4pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 12pm Friday, please ensure the checklist below has been printed and completed

Please ensure you have completed our checklist prior to dropping off or posting paperwork

or posted to

The Registrar
City Chambers
253 High Street

0131 529 2600

email Marriage and civil partnership.