Borrowing from the library
Borrow books, ebooks, films and music
Borrow and return books at any library. You can borrow up to 12 items at a time. Ebooks, and downloadable audiobooks do not count towards your 12 item limit.
You can reserve items which are out on loan to someone else or held at another location to collect from your local library.
The normal loan period is three weeks but you can renew items if nobody else has reserved them.
Overdue items are charged at 15p per item per day for the first 7 days, and 20p per day after that. You can pay fines in the library by cash or cheque.
Total fines of over
- £5 may restrict your borrowing
- £15 may result in your membership being suspended.
Under 16s and disabled or housebound readers are not charged for overdue items.
CD and DVD
CD hire is 70p per item, £1.35 per double set.
DVD hire is free to under 16s. Otherwise it's £1.30 per item, £2.60 per double set.
If you are in jobseekers allowance, carer's allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or the state pension you pay for
- CDs 35p per item and 65p per double set
- DVDs 65p per item and £1.30 per double set.
- 70p per item
- free, If you are housebound, disabled or under 16
- 35p per item, If you are in receipt of jobseekers allowance, carer's allowance, or the state pension.
Interlibrary loans of material not held by Edinburgh Libraries are £5.50 per item.
Replacement library cards are £1.65, free to under 16s.
There is normally a charge for replacing lost or damaged items of stock. There is no charge, however, for damage to picture and board books.