How the LEZ works
The LEZ will:
- operate continuously, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- restrict vehicles within the boundary, based on vehicle emission standards
- issue penalty charge notices (fines) to vehicles that do not comply with the minimum emission standards. Check your vehicle’s emission standards.
- be in place from 31 May 2022 onwards - we will have a two-year ‘grace’ period before penalty charges will be applied
- be enforced from 1 June 2024 - we will not issue penalty charge notices until this date
- be enforced with automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras and sign-posted at entry and exit points - we will only issue penalty charge notices to vehicles which don’t comply with the low emission zone laws
- apply to all vehicles except those
- entitled to an exemption
- motorcycles and mopeds.
The Scottish Government and their partners have funding support to encourage residents and business to change to low and zero emission transport options.