What you can bring
We’ve changed how we manage our household waste recycling centres,and need you to book an appointment before visiting.
The following items can be accepted at recycling centres, although they may be in different skips or locations to the previous layout:
- garden waste: flowers, plants, garden weeds, grass clippings, hedge trimmings and leaves
- bricks, rubble and loose soil
- solid wood
- MDF and laminates
- household batteries
- vehicle batteries
- lithium ion batteries
- mixed recycling: empty aerosols, aluminium foil, cans, any cardboard, envelopes, food tins, plastic bottles, magazines, newspaper, shredded paper, and all other types of white paper
- gas bottles - must be empty
- light bulbs - only energy saving or fluorescent tubes
- large electrical equipment: washing machines, dishwashers and cookers
- fridges and freezers - only domestic, household types
- small electrical equipment: irons, hairdryers, IT or telephone equipment, tools and game consoles
- glass jars and bottles
- paint pots - paint must be dried out by adding sand, sawdust or cat litter until solid
- TV and monitors
- engine and cooking oil
- garden hand tools
- textiles and bras: all clothing, paired footwear, handbags and belts
- books, films, music: originals only - sorry not accepted at Seafield
- household waste that cannot be recycled known as non recyclable waste, but no hot ashes or batteries in this skip.
What you can't bring
We can't accept any
- liquid paint - all paint must be dried out or have sand or cat litter added
- fuels: petrols and diesel
- explosives: fireworks, flares and airbags
- commercial fire extinguishers (greater than 35cm long)
- diving bottles - for scuba diving
- asbestos or materials containing asbestos
- biological waste
- heavy metals: mercury, thermometers and barometers
- any commercial or trade waste.
If you have any of the above, please contact a licenced specialist waste management company for safe disposal.
We cannot accept items for re-use. Find out how to re-use household items.
Find out what to do with many items with our recycling sorter
Our Recycling centres are currently closed due to industrial action. Because of this, it’s not currently possible to book an appointment between 18 August and 29 August. You can use the button to book an appointment from 30 August onwards.
Book a visit to a recycling centre from 30 onwards