Private landlords

Legal duties and managing a tenancy

We offer advice to private landlords about what they must do by law and how to resolve problems with tenants.

Before letting a property

There are a number of other legal steps you must follow.

The landlord must be registered with their Council

When marketing your property, your advert must include your landlord registration number and the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating.  This includes online adverts.

Landlords renting to three or more unrelated people must have a House of Multiple Occupation licence before they can let their property. 

Creating a tenancy

You must make sure you comply with the following

If a deposit is paid by the tenant, you must secure it in one of the three Tenancy Deposit schemes.  

We also offer advice to landlords on

  • leases
  • how to manage noise and antisocial behaviour complaints
  • landlord and tenant disputes
  • how to end a tenancy
  • sending a completed Section 11 form to the Council before taking your tenant to court.

Download ending a tenancy pack (PDFs)

Information for landlords can also be found at Renting Scotland.

Keep your knowledge up to date by reading our quarterly magazine Inside Letting.

Private sector leasing  

Private landlords can also let their property through the private sector leasing scheme, which is managed by Link Housing Association Limited. Properties are leased from private landlords and sublet to people who are in need of housing. Landlords receive guaranteed rental income, even if the property is vacant through no fault of their own or if the tenant doesn’t pay.