Living with mental health problems

Mental health advice and support

We may be able to help if you need support as a result of mental health problems, and are already receiving support from the NHS as an in-patient at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital or from a Community Mental Health team or Intensive Home Treatment team.

We can provide advice and support with

  • self care
  • housing issues and welfare benefits
  • jobs
  • leisure options including short breaks
  • respite for carers
  • advanced statements
  • wellness recovery action plans.

We work in a way to help promote recovery and will help identify the services most suited to you.

If you think we might be able to help you, please contact Social Care Direct.

If you need help urgently, find out who to contact in a crisis.

You can also search for local mental health services below.

Mental Health Officer

If you need to receive care and treatment on a compulsory basis the Council will arrange for you to have a Mental Health Officer (MHO).

MHOs tell people about their rights and make sure people get the care they need. This includes helping people to find independent advocates to speak up on their behalf.

Because all MHOs are social workers they can provide other services for the people they support.

The legal duties of an MHO, and your rights are explained in the Mental Health Guide on the Scottish Government website.

Housing with support

The Council provides some housing with support for adults living with mental health problems, through its Positive Steps services.

There are a limited number of places in Positive Steps. You will need to contact Social Care Direct to ask for an assessment before being considered for a place.