Person in hospital or care home

Long term hospital or care home Council Tax discount

You may be able to get a discount on your Council Tax bill if a member of your household is in hospital or in a care home. There is no time limit on this discount.

Who can apply

You can apply if you, or a member of your household have

  • moved into a care home on a permanent basis
  • been, or expect to be in hospital for at least 52 weeks.

Amount of discount

We may offer

  • 25% discount if one adult resident remains in the property
  • 100% exemption if the property has been left unoccupied.

This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.

We regularly review our Council Tax discount requests. We may ask you to provide more information or evidence.

Apply for a hospital or care home discount