- Licence type
- Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) licence
- Who should apply?
- Anyone who wants to rent out their property
- Definitions and more
- HMOs include residential accommodation (such as shared flats and houses, hostels and halls of residence) which are the main home for three or more unrelated people. Remember that even if you don't need a HMO licence you might still need to register as a landlord.
A fee structure and the introduction of 3 year licences came into effect on 1 June 2017. Download the HMO licence fees.
Please note that all licence application fees are non refundable, except in exceptional circumstances. You can download our refunds policy for more information. Any requests for a refund due to exceptional circumstances should be made in writing to the Licensing Manager, 249 High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1YJ or by email to: [email protected]
- Timescales (average)
- What you need to supply
A fully completed current application form
A4 size copy of the floor plans (new and any subsequent 'renewal' application)
Application fee (non-refundable)
the following certificates:
- Annual Gas Certificate (for properties with a gas supply)
- Current Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
- Annual Emergency Lighting Certificate
- Annual Portable Appliance Test Certificate (PAT)
- Annual Fire Appliances Certificate or current invoice
- Current Part 1 Fire Alarm System Certificate
- Annual Sprinkler System Inspection Certificate in accordance with BS9251
- Current Fire Safety Risk Assessment document
- Additional information
Please note that we are be changing to the way we 'book' property inspections for HMO applicants.
From mid August 2017, we will acknowledge your application and provide you with a date for your inspection with an AM or PM reservation. The date offered will always be at least 3 weeks after the date a valid application is received. Our inspection team will then contact you, by phone and email, approx 1 week before your inspection date to confirm the exact time of the inspection and also to confirm who will be inspecting the property.
We hope that these changes will provide you with an improved and more efficient way to manage your inspection visit
- Application pack
Download application pack
Download change of appointed manager form
Download a PDF copy of our Inspection template
The Inspection template will be used by our officers when inspecting the property, a copy of the completed Inspection sheet will be emailed to you at the end of the inspection
Please also ensure you read the guidance notes in the application pack before submitting your application. Any application submitted on an out of date application form or without all the required certificates, layout plan and completed checklist will be deemed to be incomplete and will be returned.
Please note that all licence application fees are non refundable, you can download our refunds policy for more information.
please visit our landlord registration pages for more information
- Standard conditions
- Proactive impact noise exemption documents