Community care grant
You must be resident in Edinburgh, over the age of 16 and in receipt of a low income to be eligible to apply for a Community Care Grant
The community care grant helps you to cope with special difficulties. We will normally make awards by giving goods such as
- removal expenses
- bedding and clothing
- storage charges or connection charges
- furniture such as a sofa, armchair or bed
- household equipment such as a cooker or fridge.
Where this is not possible, we may make cash payments that are tax free and do not have to be paid back.
Apply if you meet one of the following criteria:
- family under exceptional pressure
- person following a period of care or homelessness who has received, is currently receiving or about to receive a form of tenancy support
- person living independently where there's a risk of care or homelessness
- person meeting additional costs associated with looking after someone on temporary release from prison or a young offenders' institution.
We may not award a community care grant if you or your partner are
- below pension age with savings over £700
- above pension age with savings over £1,200.
We aim to make a decision on your Community Care Grant application within 15 working days. We will contact you if we need further information.