Granton Station: full steam ahead
The first spades were put in the ground in June 2021 to bring the historic former Granton Station back to life as a high-quality creative workspace within the community, with a new public square in front of the building for pop-up events and recreation.
The building will be operated by the social enterprise charity Wasps, Scotland’s largest provider of studio space for artists and creative industries.
Wasps is set to move into the building in 2022 to create the cultural hub. The aims of the project are to
- provide space to support around 40 jobs
- help around 100 people each year with creative business development opportunities
- deliver a heritage programme for local people and railway enthusiasts on the unique history of the location
- provide exhibition space to showcase local talent
- host workshops and events for locals, with the potential to attract thousands of visitors to the area.
Following a public consultation in May 2021, we are delighted to announce that the new public square will be named: Granton Station Square.