The regeneration of Wester Hailes is a key part of our plan to deliver place-based 20 minute neighbourhoods, and build on the strong foundations of the emerging, community-led Wester Hailes Local Place Plan.
Work has started to support the radical transformation of Wester Hailes over the next 10 to 15 years. A development and regeneration framework is being prepared, setting out opportunities for
- new net zero carbon homes
- energy-efficiency improvements to existing homes
- improved transport connections
- landscape and greenspace improvements
- enhancing services, such as schools and health centres
- improving opportunities for employment and learning.
The regeneration will look at how opportunities around the Union Canal can be realised, including canal-side development and promoting other uses. We will also consider how a range of services are delivered in Wester Hailes.
Our ambition is for Wester Hailes to become a model 20 minute neighbourhood in Edinburgh. This will support the development of a strong local community network, with easily accessible services and facilities for all residents.