Taking care of yourself
It is important to take care of yourself in order to best support your children. Your children will pick up on how you are feeling and how you are coping with the situation. It is ok to show children how you are feeling and also the
things you are doing to manage the situation for yourself and others.
- Take time to talk with family or friends about the situation and how you are feeling
- Try to get plenty of sleep, eat healthily and stay active
- Make extra time to relax and do things which you enjoy, and which may take your mind off upsetting thoughts or worries
- Manage your own expectations in terms of things you can do; remember that loss and bereavement is emotionally and physically exhausting for adults as well as children
- If you are struggling to cope or are having negative thoughts, find a trusted relative or friend to talk to or seek additional support