Traffic signs

New road signs policy

Road signs help direct you towards local areas, tourist attractions or nearby car parks. Our signs policy explains when and where new traffic signs can be used in Edinburgh.

Download the new signs policy (PDF, 708KB)

New signs can be provided for

  • Council run places
  • local amenities
  • certain tourist destinations.

Tourism signs

Your place must meet a number of terms to be able to apply for a new tourist sign, such as:

  • Comply with Visit Scotland sign rules
  • Be outwith the World Heritage Site
  • Be open to the public
  • Have its own car park
  • Pay for signs and their maintenance.

If you meet the conditions, please apply using our contact details below.

Trunk roads

Please submit requests for tourist signs on trunk roads or motorways to Transport Scotland.

Traffic signs