Report a road or pavement problem

This form is to report problems such as potholes and rocking or broken slabs.

Please use other forms to report overhanging foliagereport litter, report a street light or report a road sign

What happens when you report a road or pavement problem

When you report a problem with a road or pavement, we log it in our system and an inspector will visit the location to assess it within five working days (excluding public holidays).

The problem will be assessed and categorised based on how hazardous it is and the level of risk it poses.


Most pothole repairs will be made with a temporary or semi-permanent material to make them safe until a permanent repair can be made. Please note that permanent repairs are dependent on the availability of budget and resources.

  • Category 1 – critical risk, repaired within 24 hours.
  • Category 2 – high risk, repaired within five working days.
  • Category 3 – medium risk. It can take up to 60 working days for a repair during busy periods.
  • Category 4 – low risk, no specific timescale for repair. If you think the condition of the pothole is deteriorating over time, please let us know by reporting it again.
  • Category 5 – no risk, no action needed.

At busy times or when we have limited resources it may take longer to inspect and do these repairs.

More information on how we manage and repair potholes.

Report a road or pavement problem

You don't have to use myaccount, but if you want to keep track of your request, you'll need to register with mygovscot myaccount.

Road and pavement emergencies

If the issue is an immediate threat to safety, please use our emergency contact number

  • 0800 23 23 23 Monday to Thursday 8am to 5pm and Friday 8am to 3.40pm.
  • 0131 200 2000 weekdays 5pm to 8am and weekends.

Examples of emergency issues are

  • road defects greater than 100mm
  • pavement defects greater than 50mm
  • cycle lane defects greater than 50mm
  • missing ironworks, for example manholes and gully grills
  • damaged pedestrian guard rails likely to cause injury.

Please use other forms to report overhanging foliagereport litterreport a street light or report a road sign.


Help with mygovscot myaccount

For issues check our help page or contact