Register a death

Please make an appointment at one of our offices listed below to register a death. You have eight days to do this.

Book a death registration appointment (due to the current situation the ability to book online has been suspended. Please call the office on 0131 529 2600)

The doctor or medical professional who issues the medical certificate of death may have mentioned a review of the contents of the certificate. NHS Scotland carry out random reviews to help improve quality and accuracy of all the medical certificates cause of death. The selection occurs during the registration process. If the medical certificate is selected for review there may be a short delay in the completion of registration and subsequent funeral arrangements. 

When you receive the certificate from a member of medical staff check the certificate. Please ensure the doctor has signed the certificate and also sections D and E have been completed. 

Office locations

City Chambers

The Quadrangle
253 High Street
Edinburgh, EH1 1YP

0131 529 2600

[email protected]


30 Ferry Road,
Edinburgh, EH6 4AE 

0131 529 5520

[email protected]

South Queensferry

53 High Street,
South Queensferry, EH30 9HP

0131 331 1590

[email protected]

Documents to bring

  • Certificate of cause of death from the hospital or doctor
  • Birth and marriage or civil partnership certificate for deceased, if you have them
  • NHS medical card.

Tell Us Once is a service we use to notify government departments, including the department for Work and Pensions, as well as Council services. You tell us which departments apply and we notify them for you.

To use the service please bring along these additional documents to the appointment

  • National insurance number
  • Passport
  • Driving licence
  • Blue badge.

Documents we will issue

We issue

  • abbreviated death certificate which is free of charge
  • form 14 for the funeral director which is free of charge
  • full death extracts which is charged at statutory fee.

If you do not use the Tell Us Once service to inform the department for Work and Pensions we will issue a BD8 form so you can notify them yourself. This is free of charge.