The red and blue box service is offered to certain properties in the city centre. This is because of the planning restrictions in the World Heritage Site. You can check what service is available on your street by checking your collection day. Please note that you may not receive all the services shown in the calendar.
Please make sure you put the right items in the correct box, and place your box on the kerbside by 6am on your collection day.
Red box: mixed recycling
You can put these in your red box:
- Paper and unwanted mail
- Clean plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays
- Clean cans, tins, foil and empty aerosols
You can't put these in your red box:
- Plastic bags, wrappers, crisp bags and clingfilm
- Plastic plant pots and toys
Blue box: glass and small electricals
You can put these in your blue box:
- Glass bottles and jars
- Small electrical items placed on top or next to the box, for example hairdryers and toasters
- Household batteries placed inside a clear bag and on top of the box
- Clothing, towels, clean sheets, pairs of shoes placed inside a plastic bag
You can't put these in your blue box:
- Light bulbs, glass dishes, broken glass, ceramics and pyrex
- Large electrical items, for example microwaves or larger items
- Duvets and pillows
Grey food caddy: cooked and uncooked food
Food must be bagged in either a compostable liner, carrier bag or wrapped in newspaper. Liners are available at libraries or at supermarkets. Put it in your kerbside food waste bin or in the communal food waste bin on street.
You can put any food in your grey food caddy, including
- beans, pasta, rice and bread
- cakes and bakery items
- dairy items, eggs and egg shells
- fruit and vegetables including peelings
- meat and fish including bones
- fast food, for example chips and pizzas
- tea bags and coffee grounds.
You can't put these in your food caddy:
- Liquids including milk and cooking oil
- Food packaging
Brown wheelie bin: garden waste
You can put these in your brown wheelie bin:
- Flowers, plants and weeds
- Grass cuttings and leaves
- Hedge clippings, twigs and small branches
You can't put these in your brown wheelie bin:
- Animal waste and bedding
- Plant pots
- Soil and turf
Please cut your Christmas tree in half and place beside your brown garden bin, in January only.
Non recyclable waste
For waste that can't be recycled you will have access to
- shared non recyclable bins
- gull proof bags
- a black bag collection.
Non recyclable bins are for household waste only that can't be recycled. Only put items you can't recycle in these bins. Don't leave items or bin bags beside the bin or on the street, it's illegal.
Gull proof bags should be presented on the day of collection, please put black bags inside them. Please ensure any broken glass or sharp objects are well wrapped and not protruding from any plastic bags, to avoid injury to our staff.
Please remove the sack from the street once your waste has been collected.
If your street uses gull proof bags for waste collection it's important that you don't use communal bins in neighbouring streets.