How to get or replace your NEC

National Entitlement Card

The National Entitlement Card (NEC) is for

  • young people
  • older people
  • people with a disability.

Find out if you qualify for an NEC on the Transport Scotland website. Read about the travel discounts.


To apply for an NEC go to one of our libraries and fill in an application form.

To apply you will need a passport quality photo and proof of

  • who you are
  • where you live
  • your entitlement.

Download details on what proof is needed when applying (PDF 39 KB)

Forms for epilepsy and mental health are only available from GP practices or authorised agencies. Please contact the One Edinburgh team if you need advice on how to get one of those forms.

If you are 60 soon

Apply for your card 28 days before you are 60 so that you get your card in time. You can't use your card before your 60th birthday.

Lost or stolen cards

Contact us if your card is lost or stolen.

Renewing your card

If you are renewing your card under the grounds of a disability take proof of your eligibility to your nearest library. If you have changed address since making your first application take proof of address.

Faulty cards

If the ticket machine can’t read your card, ask the bus driver to swap it for a seven-day travel pass. This will not include any companion element. On trams, you will have to pay the full fare until you get a new card. If the card is damaged, full fare will need to be paid until you receive your new card.

Lost or stolen cards

If your card is lost or stolen you can contact us to get a new card.

If your address has changed please take proof of your new address to your nearest library to make sure your new card is sent to the right address.

One Edinburgh

Waverley Court C3, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8BG

Telephone: 0131 200 2351