Short-term let control area

Short-term Let Control Area

The whole of the City of Edinburgh Council area has been designated as a Short-term Let Control Area for the purposes of Section 26B of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997. View the statutory notification.

A consultation on the designation of a control area in Edinburgh was carried out in Autumn 2021 and following consideration of responses Planning Committee approved the proposed designation of the entire Council area for submission to Scottish Ministers for their consideration in February 2022. In July 2022 Scottish Minister issued their decision granting approval for the Capital to become the first Short term Let Control Area in Scotland. 

The area of designation corresponds with the administrative area of the City of Edinburgh Council.

The designation came into effect on 5th September 2022

The use of an entire dwelling that is not a principal home, as a short-term let will be a material change of use requiring planning permission, in accordance with Section 26B of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997 and The Town and Country Planning (Short-Term Let Control Areas) (Scotland) Regulations 2021. 

It does not apply to home sharing or home letting.

Separate legislation introducing a mandatory licensing scheme for all short-term lets in Scotland was approved earlier this year.  This will require all short-term lets to be licensed by July 2024.  

We are currently revising our Planning Guidance for Business to reflect these changes. To help shape the final version of the guidance we are seeking your views - please complete the online consultation which runs until 22 December 2022.

Applying for planning permission or a certificate of lawfulness

The Scottish Government Planning Guidance for Hosts and Operators sets out the requirements for planning permission and what you need to do if you are applying to confirm whether planning permission for the existing use of the property is required or not - this is known as a Certificate of Lawfulness of existing Use or Development.   

Read more about the information we require to assess a certificate of lawful existing use or development.

The Planning Fees Charter sets out the fees for applications for planning permission and Certificates of Lawfulness. 

Planning Guidance for Business

Apply for Planning Permission