Moving from nursery to Primary 1 in August 2023
Every year, no matter where they are in Edinburgh, children moving into P1 spend their final weeks of early learning becoming familiar with the same story and doing shared activities. This means that when your child starts school, they and their new classmates will already be familiar with the story and characters, and the themes of journeys, adventure and friendship. These themes are closely linked to the experience of moving from early learning to school and by exploring them together, we hope your child will find this important transition easier.
This year, our chosen book is ‘We’re Going on a Bear Hunt’ by Michael Rosen. You can watch and listen to him reading the story.
What we are doing
- six weeks of activity ideas for children to experience in early years settings before the holidays
- six weeks of summer ideas and activities for families during the summer, including The Great Edinburgh Bear Hunt
- ideas to help children explore the book and its themes further through play in P1, with their new friends
Summer holiday activities
Here are some ideas including indoor and outdoor activities, stories and games for each week of the summer holidays. We would love to see how you get on with these activities so please share your experiences on Twitter, using #EdinBearHunt
The Great Edinburgh Bear Hunt
Edinburgh Bear will be popping up all over the city for you and your child to find throughout the summer holidays. When you spot him, tweet his location using our hashtag - #EdinBearHunt – including a photo if you would like to. Edinburgh Bear will be hiding in all sorts of places, so you can take part in the Bear Hunt while going about your usual activities, or even make a day of it and see how many you can find in one go, the choice is yours! Look out for Edinburgh Bear on this poster.
There are three extra payments for parents to help towards the costs of being pregnant or looking after a child:
- Scottish Child Payment
- Best Start Grant
- Best Start Foods
You may be able to get these if:
- you live in Scotland
- you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits
- you or your partner are pregnant, or are the main person looking after a baby or child who's the right age for a payment
You can apply to the Scottish Government online, by phone or by post. You can find out more about the Scottish Child Payment, Best Start Grants and Best Start Foods payments and apply online.