Moving from nursery to Primary 1 - play and learn
We know that playing and learning with your child at home is both a joy and a challenge. This year we are using “The Bookworm” by Debi Gliori to support children starting Primary 1 this August.
No matter where children are in Edinburgh, all children will become familiar with the same story and have some shared experiences. This means when your child starts school they, their new friends and classmates will already be very familiar with the story, the character, the adventure as well as ideas around friendships, change and a love of reading.
What we are doing
- six weeks of ideas for nurseries/childminders before the holidays
- six weeks of summer ideas and activities for parents/carers during the holidays
- every P1 class in Edinburgh will welcome children with a class copy of the book and they will join in and learn together around a familiar story.
Join in with Edinburgh Bear over the summer holidays
Here are some ideas including indoor and outdoor activities, stories and games for each week of the summer holidays.
There are three extra payments for parents to help towards the costs of being pregnant or looking after a child:
- Scottish Child Payment
- Best Start Grant
- Best Start Foods
You may be able to get these if:
- you live in Scotland
- you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits
- you or your partner are pregnant, or are the main person looking after a baby or child who's the right age for a payment
You can apply to the Scottish Government online, by phone or by post. You can find out more about the Scottish Child Payment, Best Start Grants and Best Start Foods payments and apply online.