Report noise from neighbouring residential properties

Noise from residential properties

Chat first or mediate – Building Better Communities

Family and Household Support (FHS) help residents who are suffering from anti-social behaviour, including noise coming from neighbour’s houses.   

We would advise those who are affected by noise to talk to your neighbour as they may not realise how noise coming from their home is affecting you.  Only do this if you feel safe to do so. 

If you are the tenant of a Housing Association, you should report any noise to your Housing Officer so they can investigate further.

If the house the noise is coming from is owned by a private landlord, you should speak to them directly regarding their tenant. They are responsible for dealing with issues caused by their tenant. Find out who a is landlord.

FHS deals with noise from houses, including things like loud music, DIY and musical instruments.

We can’t take formal action for noise coming from children playing, loud footsteps or where sound proofing is a factor. For these type of issues Mediation can be of help.


One of the ways in which FHS could help is to offer mediation.   Mediation has proven to be a successful approach to help neighbours reach a point where both parties can live alongside each other, reaching a resolution that everyone has agreed to.   

Read more about mediation and how we use that approach.

We would also advise that you should contact the police on 101 when the noise is happening. The kinds of noise could be neighbours

  • playing loud music or TV or having parties
  • banging or shouting

You can contact the Police Force Control Centre on 101, any time of the day, 7 days a week. 

If you still have an ongoing problem with noise and would like to speak to someone to get advice you can contact your local office and ask to speak to Family and Household Support (8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 3.50pm Friday).