How to get or replace your NEC

National Entitlement Card (NEC)

The National Entitlement Card (NEC) is for

  • young people
  • older people
  • people with a disability.

Find out if you qualify for an NEC on the Transport Scotland website. You can also read about travel discounts, and find answers to frequently asked questions on the Improvement Service website.

You can also find out more information on the NEC website


You can

  • apply for a new over 60s bus pass - please be advised you cannot apply earlier than 14 days before your 60th birthday
  • apply for a Young Scot card
  • apply for a new disabled bus pass
  • request a photo update
  • request a replacement card
  • apply to renew an expired / expiring card

on the Get Your NEC website.

For all other bus passes, please email your details to

If you cannot apply online, you can get an application form and apply for your card at one of our libraries. When visiting, please bring with you

  • a recent passport quality photograph
  • proof of age or disability
  • proof of your current address.

Check the National Entitlement Card website for more information on proofs required to confirm your identity and address

Visit the library directory for information about opening times.

Faulty cards

If the ticket machine can’t read your card, ask the bus driver to swap it for a seven-day travel pass. This will not include any companion element. On trams, you will have to pay the full fare until you get a new card. If the card is damaged, full fare will need to be paid until you receive your new card.

Waverley Court C3,
4 East Market Street,
Edinburgh, EH8 8BG

0131 200 2351
Monday to Thursday 10am – 4pm
Friday 10am – 3pm


One Edinburgh

Waverley Court C3, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8BG

Telephone: 0131 200 2351