Council rent advice

From 3 April 2023, rent for Council homes will increase by 3%. Your rent pays for improvements and repairs to your homes and goes towards building new Council homes. The rent increase will help us to continue to do this.

You are responsible for making sure the rent for your home is paid in full. If you experience difficulties paying your rent it is important that you seek early advice.

When you get into rent debt we will contact you to discuss what help we can give you to keep you in your home and avoid further action.

We can

  • advise you on how to apply for help in paying your rent through housing benefit and Universal Credit housing costs
  • discuss the different ways you can pay rent
  • put you in touch with money advice services
  • advise you how to pay any arrears in affordable instalments
  • discuss extra money you may be entitled to but are not claiming
  • give you advice and assistance to apply for benefits to resolve your benefit problems

How to pay your rent

Worried about paying your rent?

We know that many people struggle with rising costs and if you're having diffuculties paying your rent you should speak to us now.

We can help by

  • referring you for money and debt advice
  • helping you to apply for benefits and funding to help pay rent
  • setting up a repayment plan.

A Tenant Hardship Fund has been set up to help tenants, including those who cannot access benefits. If you’re struggling to pay your rent, speak to your housing officer or contact to see if we can help.

You’ll also be offered advice and support to maximise your income, check benefit and funding entitlement and review your household outgoings

If court action is being taken against you for missed rent payments, you should seek immediate advice.

Download rent payment dates - PDF

How to get advice

Get advice by

  1. Talking to your housing officer at your locality office or
  2. Email

To get help with any debts speak to the Advice Shop on

0131 200 2360.

Read more about welfare reform and benefit changes.

Court action

If court action is being taken against you or a decree has been granted for your eviction, you are at risk of homelessness. It is important that you seek immediate advice contact

You risk losing your home if you don't ask for help when behind with your Council rent.       

Download Council rent payment dates

Elderly woman with her hands out with coins in it

Cost of living help

Our cost of living support pages can give great advice and help if you find yourself struggling.

Cost of living help