Who to contact in a crisis

Who you can call in an emergency

If the crisis is life threatening, call 999.

If you are worried about someone who is ill, call NHS 24.


Urgent social care or someone at risk of harm 

If someone needs urgent social care or you think an adult or child needs protection call Social Care Direct.

0131 200 2324

In the evening and at weekends or public holidays, you can call Emergency Social Work, free of charge from a landline. Your mobile phone provider may charge for 0800 calls.

0800 731 6969

  • Monday to Thursday 5pm to 8.30am
  • weekends from Friday 3.55pm to Monday 8.30am.

If you're calling from outside the UK, phone

00 44 131 553 8286

Other help in a crisis

If you are worried about domestic abuse, call the 24 hour Domestic Abuse Helpline.

0800 027 1234

Service for hard of hearing and deafened people

You can contact us via Relay UK by dialing 18001 + the required telephone number free of charge but standard network rates for your phone provider may apply. Please check with your provider. More information about Relay UK.

Service for Deaf people

To use British Sign Language interpreting service free of charge to contact us, log on via ContactSCOTLAND-BSL or use their app. Or you can use the British Deaf Association helpline for information about Council and NHS services.