Voter IDs for future UK General Elections

Valid photo IDs you can use

Post note about reminding people to bring their ID when they go to vote in the next UK Parliament Elections

There is a new rule that requires voters to show photo ID when they vote at polling stations. This only applies to UK General Elections. You will not need photo ID for Scottish Parliament elections or local council elections. 

Most people already have a valid photo ID. We don’t want you to be left out when it comes to voting in the next UK General Election. Please check if your photo ID is valid or apply for a free voter ID.

Valid photo IDs

You may already have a valid form of photo ID that can be used for voting in the next UK General Election. Acceptable documents include

  • Passport issued by 
    • UK
    • any Channel Islands
    • Isle of Man
    • a British Overseas Territory
    • EEA state
    • Commonwealth country (including an Irish Passport Card)
  • Driving licence (including provisional licence) issued by
    • UK
    • any of the Channel Islands
    • Isle of Man
    • EEA state
  • Blue badge
  • National Entitlement Card (concessionary bus pass)
  • identity card with PASS mark for example Young Scot Card
  • biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (defence identity card)

You can see the full list of accepted forms of photo IDs on the Electoral Commission's website. You can still use some photo IDs even if they are out-of-date, as long as the photo still looks like you. You can get more information on the Electoral Commission's voter ID webpage. You can also call them on

0333 103 1928

Information in other formats

You can get voter ID requirements information in other formats from the Electoral Commission including

  • audio
  • Braille
  • BSL
  • easy read
  • plain text.

How to get a free Voter ID

If you do not have an accepted photo ID, you can apply for a free Voter ID online, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can also apply for this by post if you live in the UK. ​After you have filled in the form, send it to the electoral registration office at

Lothian Valuation Joint Board
17A South Gyle Crescent
EH12 9FL

Showing ID as an anonymous elector

If you're registered to vote anonymously and want to vote in person, you'll need to apply for an Anonymous Elector's Document. Find out more about registering to vote anonymously and how to vote anonymously