Help with paying Council Tax

You may be able to get help if you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax if you are eligible for 

You should contact us if you need help applying or other advice.

Support and advice 

If you don’t have the funds to pay, or if you have a number of debts, you may wish to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or our Advice Shop

0131 200 2360

Find out about financial support for families, parents and carers

If you miss an instalment

We will send you a reminder if you miss an instalment or don't pay the full amount due. You must bring your payments up to date within 14 days. You can then carry on paying by instalment as usual.

If instalments are not up to date

We will serve a Summary Warrant on you if you don’t pay within 14 days. Your account will go to the Sheriff Officer, normally Scott & Co or Walker Love who will contact you for payment.

You will have to pay the full amount of Council Tax for the year as a lump sum. We will add a 10% statutory surcharge onto your full outstanding balance. You may have to pay Sheriff Officer's costs too.

The Sheriff Officer has powers that we don't to collect the debt from you.  These include bank account and wage arrestments.

Falling behind more than once

We will send you a second reminder if you miss another instalment.  You will get a Summary Warrant straight away if you miss a third instalment.