Our vision is for Edinburgh to remain the most productive major city in the UK. We want Edinburgh to be a welcoming, international city that is home to a thriving economy in which all our people can enjoy the success the city creates. To meet this vision, the Edinburgh economic strategy sets out actions for us and our partners over the next five years.
Eight steps to good growth
The strategy describes eight steps the city needs to take to enable good growth in Edinburgh. Each step focuses on improving inclusion and driving innovation in the city. The eight steps are:
- deliver new approaches to tackling the barriers that reinforce worklessness, poverty and inequality
- reform Edinburgh's skills landscape to meet the needs of our changing economy
- support Edinburgh's transition to a low carbon economy
- establish Edinburgh as Scotland's leading city for fair work practices and socially responsible business
- enhance Edinburgh's position as the UK's most entrepreneurial city
- establish Edinburgh as the data capital of Europe
- build on the success of our world leading culture and tourism sectors
- deliver world class places fit to power good growth in Edinburgh.
Monitor and review
We review the strategy annually and report to the Housing and Economy Committee to
- update on progress
- highlight emerging issues
- make recommendations for new actions.
Download Edinburgh Economy Watch (PDF) for a quarterly analysis with on trends in the city's economy.