Non-domestic (business) properties
If non-domestic (business) properties are unoccupied, the Council can grant
- 50% relief of rates for a maximum of 3 months
- 10% relief of rates when properties remain empty longer than 3 months.
If a property is unoccupied from 1 April 2016 and is an industrial building with no retail element, the Council can grant
- 100% relief for a maximum of 6 months
- 10% relief for longer than 6 months.
Certain categories may be exempt from the 90% property charge. These are
- industrial properties, with no retail element
- properties prohibited by law from occupation
- properties which are under compulsory purchase
- properties with a rateable value of less than £1,700
- properties which are listed buildings or have a preservation order
- properties where the person entitled to possession is a trust for sequestration, liquidation or executors.
Unless you have already notified us that your property is unoccupied we cannot give an exemption. To notify us complete the empty property relief application form.
To apply for empty property exemption, complete the empty property exemption form.