To register the birth of your baby you need to make an appointment at one of our offices within 21 days of giving birth.
If the parents of the baby are not married or in a civil partnership with each other they must come together to the appointment if the fathers name should appear on the birth certificate.
253 High Street, Edinburgh
0131 529 2600
30 Ferry Road, Edinburgh,
0131 529 5520
53 High Street,
South Queensferry, EH30 9HP
0131 331 1590
Documents to bring
Please bring the
- card from the hospital where the baby was born
- your marriage certificate, it you have one
- birth certificates, if you have them, or another form of identification.
We will issue
- abbreviated extract of birth which is free of charge
- EC58 form for the National Health Service which is free of charge
- full extract which you may require which is charged at statutory fee.