We have carried out a public consultation and extensive research on 20mph speed limits including
- Edinburgh People's Survey - 2012
- South Edinburgh pilot project - 2012-13
- public consultation on 20mph limits - 2014.
This has shown a high level of public support for the 20mph project.
Research shows that limiting speeds to 20mph in busy streets has numerous benefits including
- reducing deaths and casualties
- encouraging walking and cycling
- making communities more sociable.
We have carried out before and after surveys to monitor the 20mph network. We have monitored traffic speeds, road casualties and public perceptions. The findings were reported to the Transport and Environment Committee in October 2019.