Student Council Tax discount
To qualify as a student, you must either
- study for 6 months for 21 hours per week in each academic year
- be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council
- be under 20 years old and be studying for a non-advanced course for at least 12 hours a week for three months. Non-advanced courses include A levels, Highers, and Level 3 SVQs.
Amount of discount
We may offer
- a 25% discount if all but one of the adults living at the property are students
- a 100% exemption if the property is occupied solely by students.
This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.
How to apply
Apply for a student Council Tax discount online. This will work for you if you have given your college or university permission to share your details with us and you study at
- Edinburgh College
- Heriot-Watt University
- Queen Margaret University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Scotland's Rural College (SRUC)
- University of Edinburgh (including Edinburgh College of Art).
Your discount will end when your course ends. This will normally be before your graduation date.
If you are studying somewhere else
- Download and print the student council tax status confirmation form
- Ask your college or university to sign and stamp it
- Send your completed form to the address shown on the form
Foreign language assistants
We also treat you as a student if you work as a foreign language assistant in a school or other educational establishment and are registered with the British Council.
- Download the student council tax status confirmation form and complete it
- Ask your employer to authorise your printed form
- Send your registration certificate to the Council Tax team
For Council Tax purposes, we treat you as a student if you are
- a non European Union national
- the spouse or dependant of a student
- your right of entry or residence is dependent on you not being allowed to work or having no recourse to public fund.
To apply, email your details to email@example.com
We will need to see your passport and your visa for the UK. We regularly review all our Council Tax discount requests. We may ask you to provide more information or evidence.