Student Council Tax discount
As a full-time student you may be able to get a discount on your Council Tax bill.
To qualify as a student, you must either
- study for 24 weeks for 21 hours per week in each academic year
- be under 20 years old, have left home and be studying for a qualifying course for at least 12 hours a week for three months - qualifying courses include A levels, Highers, HNDs, HNCs and Level 4 SVQs
- be a foreign language assistant working in a school or other educational establishment and be registered with the British Council.
Amount of discount
We may offer
- a 25% discount if all but one of the adults living at the property are students
- a 100% exemption if the property is occupied solely by students.
This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.
How to apply
You should apply for a student council tax discount using the online form below. This will work for you if you have given your college or university permission to share your details with us and you study at
- University of Edinburgh (including Edinburgh College of Art)
- Edinburgh College
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Queen Margaret University.
Your discount will end when your course ends. This will normally be before your graduation date.
If you are studying somewhere else, you should download and print the student council tax status confirmation form below and complete it. Then ask your college or university to sign and stamp it. Send your completed form to the address shown on the form.
Foreign language assistants
We also treat you as a student if you work as a foreign language assistant in a school or other educational establishment and are registered with the British Council. You should download the student council tax status confirmation form below and complete it. Your employer can authorise your printed form or you can send your registration certificate to the Council Tax team.
For Council Tax purposes, we treat you as a student if you are
- a non European Union national, and
- the spouse or dependant of a student, and
- your right of entry / residence is dependent on you not being allowed to work or having no recourse to public fund.
To apply, email your details to email@example.com
We will need to see your passport and your visa for the UK.
We regularly review all our Council Tax discount requests. We may ask you to provide more information or evidence.