You may be able to get a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill if you are the only adult living in a property. An adult is a person aged 18 or over.
To qualify for a discount you must already have registered with us to let us know that you live in Edinburgh.
How to cancel your single occupancy discount
If you need to cancel a single occupancy discount you must email
You must include the following in your email
- Council Tax account number. You can find this 11 digit number on your bill. It starts with 9 and the last 2 digits should match the financial year for example '18' for 2018/ 2019.
- property address
- account holder hame
- date new person moved in
- name of new household member
- if the new household member is a
- joint tenant
- partner or spouse
- if you need to cancel as your child has turned 18 please provide their name and date of birth.
Not registered with Council
Tell us that you have moved into or within Edinburgh, to register and apply for the discount at the same time.
This discount reduces your Council Tax, water and sewerage charges.
Single occupancy discount review
Annually, the Council undertakes a review to ensure residents who claim a single occupancy discount on their Council Tax continue to have a genuine entitlement to it.
The City of Edinburgh Council in partnership with Northgate Public Services are undertaking an evidence based single occupancy discount review. This uses a combination of information held by the Council, third party data sources and specialist validation services. This will help to
- remove ineligible claims
- ensure that those who are entitled to the discount continue to receive it
- keep Council Tax as low as possible for all Council Tax payers and help to protect services in a difficult financial climate.
If you have received a review form, please return this promptly to secure your discount. Alternatively reply easily online by following the instructions on Single Person Discount Review online service.
Frequently asked questions are available for help.