Apply for a taxicard

If you have a disability that makes it difficult to use ordinary buses you can apply for a taxicard to help you to get around the city and make your journeys cheaper.

The information collected on the application form will be used by the Council to process your application because the Council has an obligation under the law to maintain and manage the public highway in Edinburgh. 

We process under Condition 6(1)(e) “Processing is necessary for the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller.” In the case of exempt permits, sensitive personal information about your health is processed under Condition 9(2)(b) “Processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out obligations and exercising specific rights of the data controller in the field of social protection law” of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).   

For further information about how we will use, store and dispose of your data and about your rights under Data Protection legislation please see our privacy notice

Download the application form and return it to us (PDF - 311 KB)

About taxicards

Your taxicard lasts for three years and allows you to make 104 trips per year. This is the equivalent of one return journey a week.

To be eligible you need to live in Edinburgh and have a permanent disability and be older than two years old. To use the card, either book a taxi or ask at a rank for a taxicard booking. You can't hail a taxi in the street.

Taxicard operator 

Central Taxis are the only taxi operator who accepts taxicards.

If you require a private hire vehicle saloon car contact

0131 442 4444.

If you require a black cab with full wheelchair access, contact 

0131 229 2468

Taxicards – free rail travel

Thanks to a special deal between ScotRail and the Council, you can travel on trains within the Lothian area for free. If you are travelling from a station with ticket barriers, you’ll need to show your valid taxicard to the gateline staff. Otherwise just board your train and show it to the ticket inspector.

Information on applicable stations and terms of use are available to Download our frequently asked questions about taxicards  (PDF - 50.34 KB)

You can use your taxicard on the new borders railway up to Gorebridge only, if you want to travel to Stow, Galashiels or Tweedbank you will have to pay the difference to these stations.

Do you have any comments about this page?

Help us improve

  • The City of Edinburgh Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.