Paths for Everyone
Edinburgh off-road paths are for everyone
Our city is great for walking and cycling with its network of off-road paths across the city.
These paths are for everyone. Whether you're
- out for a stroll
- heading to work
- off for a run
- walking the dog
- going for a bike ride
- out for an adventure with the kids.
We would like everyone to be able to use the paths in safety and comfort. Please follow this simple code of conduct and look out for the new signs in North Edinburgh, which are going up in October 2017.
- think about all other path users
- stay alert, especially if using headphones or your phone
- don't assume everyone can see or hear you
- keep left if possible and pass on the right
- don't leave your rubbish behind.
- use your bell to let people know you are there well in advance
- give others space
- don't pass at speed
- at night - avoid dazzling: dip, dim, don't strobe.
Walkers and runners
- listen for cyclists' bells
- allow cyclists to pass
- at night, think about whether you are visible to others.
- keep dogs on a short lead or close to heel
- clean up after your dog
- at night, use a reflective collar or coat on your dog.
The Council has worked with path users to create this code of conduct through its Active Travel forum.