Bike security, parking and storage
Storing and parking your bike
There are a number of bike stands around the city and our map shows the cycle parking locations by looking at the blue dots.
Train stations and park and ride sites usually have secure parking too.
Close to home
Vist the Spokes website for advice about storing bikes in Edinburgh tenements/flats.
We have been running a trial of secure on-street residential bike parking and will be deciding how to take this forward later in 2016.
Keep your bike safe
Some simple tips can help you keep your bike safe.
- Avoid parking in isolated or dimly lit places.
- Always lock your bike frame to an immovable object.
- Lock removable parts, such as wheels, and take smaller parts and accessories with you.
- Make the lock and bike hard to move when parked.
- Face the lock towards the ground to make it harder to pick.
- Take more care if your bike is expensive, be prepared to spend at least 10% of your bike's value on a good quality lock to keep it safe. You can ask your local bike shop for advice on buying a lock.
If your bike is stolen, please report it to Police Scotland by calling 101.
Security marking for your bike
Police Scotland offer security marking for bicycles which can help identify your bike if it is recovered after being stolen which is on offer at events in Edinburgh throughout the year (UV = £5, electronic tag = £16).