Top ten energy saving tips
- Switch off lights in empty rooms
- Close curtains at dusk
- Set thermostats correctly
- Hot water tank thermostat between 60-65°C
- Room thermostats between 18-21°C, or 21-23°C if there are older people, very young children, or someone with health difficulties in the home.
- Turn gadgets off at the plug rather than leaving on standby
- Try not to put furniture in front of a radiator
- Use a shower instead of a bath.
- Only fill the kettle with as much water as you need
- Cook with lids on pans and match the cooking ring to saucepan size
- Wait until you have a full load before putting your washing machine on and use a lower temperature (30) wash cycle
- Dry clothes outside or on a clothes rail for free instead of using an expensive tumble dryer